Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Notes/ Thoughts on the Guest Lecture by David Arter

On 2.23.10 the UTA Debate Society had a guest lecture by David Arter. David Arter is a lecturer in the Political Science and International Relations Department. Prof. Arter used his dynamic speaking style to engage a large group of students and lecturers. With an array of humor, Finnish Language and engaging analysis Arter had the group compelled. I personally learned alot of information about Finnish political and culture that I had never previously considered.

Following the lecture we had a debate with a few new BRAVE students that were willing to participate. The motion of the debate was:
* THB that Finnish should be the only official language in Finland.
The debate was successful and I was impressed by the new students that participated. It was also nice to see that I was the only non-Finn in the debate. This made for a better quality debate and it was interesting to see the different perspectives.

Things to think about:
RECRUITMENT! RECRUITMENT! RECRUITMENT!
*Announcements in your lectures, it will take a minute and could attract alot of potential debaters!
*Flyers!! We still have the flyer that was designed by Chris. If you would like copies to disperse through the city and campus send me an email and I will take care of it!
*Advertisement: Avisi etc.

NEXT MEETING:
*I will be giving a short lecture on structuring speeches and specifics of role fulfillment. I believe that the members of the debate society are really improving and we are ready to step up our skills and focus on the fundamentals of debate!!!
*Following the lecture we will have a debate! I will be bringing a list of motions and I will select one, and then we will draw positions in the debate. It will be a bit more challenging but I think participants will find that it is more simple than it appears!

Any questions, concerns or comments feel free to either email me or post them on the blog!

Thanks
Karen
Kgnelson@uvm.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment